Tuesday, May 27, 2008

It's about damn time...

It's been forever since I've been able to have a REAL post. I'm not sure if it was procrastination, a feeling of new-found liberty after finals, getting sick, the increasing warm weather and sunshine or just plain laziness, but it's been TOO long since my last post! I'll try and keep it as brief as possible and just hit the highlights, but forgive me now if I start to ramble... it happens.

The most important thing to mention is the END OF THE SPRING SEMESTER! Both classes ended in complete frustration and craziness with finals and final exams all due at once while traveling with the new job and worrying about everything else in life. However, when grades were posted I was very happy to find that I received an 'A' in Cross-Cultural Counseling and an 'A+' in Career Counseling. SCORE! All that worrying, bitching, moaning, complaining, depression for nothing... as usual.

Despite finals and work stuff I did manage to go on a knitting retreat! It was so much fun. A group of us girls drove about an hour outside of town to the Mt. Aurora Fairbanks Creek Lodge to spend Friday night and Saturday KNITTING. We each paid $70 which paid for dinner Friday night (all you can eat home-made taco bar with all the fixin's), the night in double rooms with a shared bathroom, breakfast Saturday morning (eggs, bacon, coffee, pancakes & fruit) and lunch Saturday afternoon (awesome chicken caesar salad with fresh baked bread), and all the knitting you can handle.




Everyone brought projects, snacks, desserts, drinks, and laughter. It was the most fun I've had in a very, very long time. Nothing like knitting all night in your P.J.s with a bunch of other women, drinking rum & cokes, listening to music and eating desserts until your tummy can't handle it anymore. It was something I'd definitely be willing to do again. I got a huge chunk of knitting done on my Tam Tam, but got hung up when I read a pattern wrong so I had to wait till I got home to finish it, but it eventually got done!




(Notice the Rum & Coke... thanks Stacey!)
drum roll please....



Here I am modeling the finished Tam.
Pattern: Tam with Wheel Pattern
References: Priscilla Gibson-Roberts in Homespun Handknit: Caps, Socks, Mittens & Gloves.
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpaca Royal in Natural, Koigu KFM
Needles: US1 & US4
Start Date: 22 April 2008
Finish Date: 3 May 2008


Many people have suggested I enter it into the Fair. Well.... I guess it can't hurt. Hey, I might win $5! This year I'm finally going to enter my vegetable quilt too. We'll see. May win, may win nothing. I just want to see it on display. ;-) We'll see.

So that being just about the only project cast OFF, I cast on about 3 more new projects. It didn't help that I received an order from Spunky Eclectic either. Two pairs of socks and a hat isn't too bad right??


Monkey Sock out of Spunky Eclectec - Skinny Sock in Colorado colorway


Sugar Maple socks out of 2-at-a-time Socks made from Koigu KPPPM.


Unoriginal Hat made out of Malabrigo - aquarella in the Soriano colorway


Things have been a whirl-wind, and I'm trying desperately to love every minute of summer and get in as much knitting as possible. Hence, the absence in blogging.... :-(

Things to look forward to:
This Thursday I'm going to see SIR ELTON JOHN himself! Live in Concert in Fairbanks, Alaska... weird huh? Don't believe me? Click Here.

I wasn't super excited when I heard he was coming to Fairbanks, more in shock. But I knew if I didn't buy a ticket, even though I wasn't super excited, I would be totally kicking myself later. I mean, come on, it's SIR Elton John. Low and behold, now that the concert is two days away, I'm SUPER DUPER excited and can't wait.

This Saturday, I've planned a bonfire at the cabin with my little cabin mate, Kara, so hopefully we'll have some pictures up from that here soon. I'll keep you posted on the concert, knitting updates, and bonfire escapades as they occur. Until then... happy knitting and happy BBQing!



Wrangler and Elton are making the same face!

1 comment:

Heidi Olson said...

Love the Tam! I especially like the use of the variegated yarn you used to carry the color through the pattern. What a great idea!
-heidi