Friday, April 22, 2011

Ready or Not, Here They Come...

TOMORROW is the big day! The girls will arrive from a 7 hour car ride from Big Lake, Alaska on their long voyage from an almond field in California to their new home in Fairbanks, Alaska. I've put all the finishing touches on the hive.

I've painted all of the boxes...

The final paint job on the hive.

Inserted the feeder frame and insulated the boxes by adding blue foam insulation board to 2 outside frames then lined them with reflective tape...

The initial brood box.

Nailed in the frame spacers in the honey super boxes (this is to make it so the bees have more room to draw out the comb and therefore make more room for honey...

A sneak peek into one of the honey supers.

Assembled all of the frames...

Where the honey will be stored once the pollen flow starts

and even have done a bit of researching to make sure I've got everything ready on my "beekeepers calendar" and know when to do what...

A quick and dirty refresher of what I've already learned.

 So, keep an eye out for videos, pictures and all accounts of what hiving the bees actually was like. Fingers crossed!

(sorry the pictures aren't fantastic, they were taken with the iphone in our basement where it's the horrible florescent lighting...)

2 comments:

Debbie T said...

Looks like this is a popular thing to do these days. I have a girlfriend who lives in Sebastopol, California that has just started beekeeping. She posted last night on FB that she just noticed some pollen on some of the bees legs.
Good luck with your venture!

Molly said...

How exciting! Hope everything goes great when they get there!