Saturday, October 6, 2007

NOW I'm a Fucking ALASKAN!!!

Excuse my French, but tonight has made me a believer. I've lived in Alaska since 2001, but tonight.... TONIGHT is the first time that I've felt truly like I am an Alaskan. I know the 3 or 4 PFD's that I've gotten, SHOULD'VE been the tell-tale sign that now you really are a resident of Alaska, but tonight I AM a Sourdough Alaskan.

...this is a picture of me from tonight, I've let the beard grow in a little bit

I woke up this morning at 8am bright and early so that I could get Harvey ready for his move to his new home. I opened the door to let Wrangler out, and on the ground was a GOOD layer of snow over everything. There was a piece of me that was excited and happy, but then there was another that was terrified of Rosie Creek rd. and the Chena Pump rd. hill. I washed out his cage, litter pan, wheel, and everything. Took a little cuddle break with the Wrang, and got Harvey ready to go into town. I had Orientation Leader Debrief with Pizza and Bowling, which not many people came to, but that's another story. I put Harvey in the car and got ready to make the scary trip into town. It was sad to say good bye, but I know that he's going to be taken care of and have way more fun. Wrangler is a needy little guy.
I'll miss you Harvey.
So I did the meeting, did the pizza thing, did the bowling thing, and got ready to come home at around 7:30pm. Wrangler had been home since about noon, and the weather was getting colder, snowyier, and darker. I drove slow, and steady I got to the top of Chena Pump, and started to make my way down a little dip to the turn-off to Rosie Creek. I went slowed down and dropped it into 2nd gear. I got over the intial hump and started to head down the hill. There was a guy walking up the road with flares in 2 hands. There was a line of cars with their emergencies on. I asked the guy what was up and he said "I wouldn't go down there if I were you." He said that there was a flipped over truck, a car that went off the edge of the road, and there was 2 tow trucks in a ditch. I was going to turn around and take the SUPER long way, by going down the parks to Ester and take a left onto Cripple Creek, until somebody told me that it was going to be worse than Rosie creek. YIKES! What do I do now??? I turned around, and pulled off the road at the top of Chena Pump. Hmmmm... I couldn't go down Rosie Creek, I wasn't going to risk driving 45 minutes out of the way to get stuck in the middle of nowhere, I had to get to Wrangler. So I had to walk. THANK GOD I decided to wear my pashmina silk scarf, and hiking boots. I grabbed my rain coat because it had a hood and I knew would be a warm shell over my fleece. I grabbed a water bottle with water in it, and some granola bars from the glove compartment and started down the hill. It was getting really dark and there was NO WAY to walk on the road without slipping so I had to walk in the ditch on the inside of the road. I grabbed a thick stick and used it as a walking stick to help me down the hill. I passed people, cars, skid marks, flares, and a police car, but I just kept on truckin'. I got home in a remarkable 30 minutes, with a very excited Wrangler to greet me. I google mapped it and found out it was only 2 miles, but it felt like 10! God it feels good to be a gangsta! Now I just have to figure out how to get my car tomorrow....
I miss summer already.

1 comment:

Macoco said...

I love your story! I'm glad you made it home okay and hope your car is easy to rescue!