Monday, January 7, 2008

my karma ran over my dogma!

Except for being sick the entire time I was in Rochester and accidentally leaving a bag of baby carrots in the car the other night, the year has made a pretty good start. I mean, it hasn't been FANTASTICALLY wonderful or anything, but it hasn't been completely horrible either. I guess the most notable thing that's happened this year was my upgrade to FIRST CLASS on the flight home. From Minneapolis to Anchorage (5 hour flight) I was moved to first class so that a bunch of families could sit together. It pays to be single, bitches! We got mini-Ben and Jerry's pints, and all the booze you can keep down. How do go back to flying coach?!

I haven't heard anything about the job that closed December 7th... no news is good news, right? I tried not to think about it over break. I had a nice trip home. It was really good to see the Fam, friends, and Aunt Rose. Rochester is the same ol' shit hole it was when I left (i.e. see picture below.)I did get to have Sunday Brunch at Mario's with "the girls", and spend some of New Years Eve at LUX, but other than that all I really did was knit and watch 4 NEARLY complete seasons of "America's Next Top Model" re-runs on VH1. I'm fairly positive my IQ has dropped at least 30 points and part of my brain may be rotted beyond salvation.

Although all the T.V. watching was detrimental for the intelligence, I DID get a ridiculous amount of knitting done. Including finishing Rick's scarf (the 4th in the Noro Kureyon, "Child's first scarf" series), got about half-way on a 5th scarf as a sample for the shop, worked about an inch and a half on the second Monkey sock, and got through one skein on Noro Kureyon in the Entrelac Scarf from Freckles & Purls site.
It's really stunning in real life. The lighting in my cabin SUCKS, and I don't really have a "clean" surface to take a good picture, but this will do until I can take sunny back-porch shots again. I love those. Wrangler got more presents than me when I was home! I counted 8 bags of dog treats (which I'm having mom ship up separate cause I didn't have room in my luggage), tons of stuffed toys from Kara (the doggie-sitter) and a 24" rawhide bone! That's right... you heard correct... A two-foot long bone. I wish I had taken video of him when he first saw that sucker. He probably peed a little. He LOVES it. But I have to take it away ever once in a while or I'm convinced he'll do a marathon chew-a-thon and pack that thing in in NO TIME FLAT.
The only other note worthy things I did while at home was see the movie JUNO (which was AMAZING, even my mom liked it), got my grades (A's in both my Counseling class and my Alaska History class... once again, totally stressing myself out for nothing), and visited my great Aunt Rose. Nothing exciting except for hanging out with the family, which honestly... I wouldn't have had it any other way.

A little eye candy to end the post with: (NEW Noro Kureyon Sock yarn... I've heard positives and negatives about it. Regardless of how it knits up, you have to admit, it's so damn pretty!)
(fyi: that frost is on the INSIDE of the window. this picture taken on a thirty-something below zero day... not a happy monkey)

3 comments:

Macoco said...

Your scarf is just gorgeous. I've seen the noro sock yarn around the web, but haven't seen any in person yet. It looks very pretty.

Heidi Olson said...

Love the scarf - I've seen several patterns using entrelac and some I like better than others - it looks like a fun pattern - what does the back look like? I like the variety of color that the yarn gives.

I'm getting ready to work on a baby afghan for my nephew (all the aunties are knitting strips that we'll put together) out of Plymouth Oh My Yarn. It is so cozy and soft I can't wait to start!

Heidi O

Unknown said...

I saw that monkey clock and freaked out for a second because I was like, "Whoa! My mom has the EXACT SAME clock!" And then I remembered where you got it. *wink
With that frost, it's not just the monkey that's unhappy but also the plant. Brrr!