Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Lake Tahoe Trip (Part II of Work Trip)

Despite 4.5 days of the most intense training I have ever experienced in my life, I did get a chance to get outside and see Lake Tahoe a little bit, and enjoy the area. After half a day of training on Tuesday, our group hopped aboard a yacht for a 4 hour cruise around the lake, with a full open bar, and an all you can eat buffet that was fit for a king!

This is a shot of my hotel "Inn by the Lake," which literally is "by the Lake" as in RIGHT across the street. These pine trees were some of the biggest I have ever seen. I might try and bring home a pine cone because they're about as big as cantaloupe!

Here's a view of the beach area just before we boarded the boat. I know I live in Alaska and see all this and more almost every day, but to see the lake on this clear of a day with the water as green and the mountains as snowy, was truly a treat!

Here is the boat that we traveled on. It looks kinda small, but really we fit probably 30 people on board. It was really nice and was open in the back to take pictures.

Emerald Bay is located in the south-west corner of the lake and is called it because LITERALLY the water is as green as an emerald. It was unbelievable. Here's a shot of an island in Emerald Bay that is the only island on the lake and actually has a little man made rock "tea house" build by the lady who bought the bay and the island for $250,000 a while back (in the early 20's I believe). See the patch of dirt going up the hill behind the island? That was an accident done by the folks trying to widen the road for cars and created an INCREDIBLE avalanche that left half the hillside missing, and the mountain bare on that side. Researchers estimate that it's going to take another 200 years at least to have vegetation grow on that side. Bummer.

This is a portion of the lake on the south-east side called Rock Cove. It was important in the formation and current depth of the lake because it used to be a volcano that prevented water from getting too high or something... It was very significant for the Native Americans because they believed that the "Lady of the Lake" was there. Can you see her? (She's in the lower right hand side of the rocks. )

There she is! How incredible is that? Totally natural, not man made. Awesome.

Well, as much as I'd like to chat more about my trip and upload more pictures, I have a 120 question test tomorrow to certify me for this Strong Interest Assessment and if I don't hit the books SOON, there's going to be hell to pay! Good thing I have Starbucks....

1 comment:

Eero said...

Beautiful scenery!

Good luck on your certification test.

If you're still interested in the bones painting "Reading," I'd like to offer you a lower price and low payment plan. Email me!

E.