Sunday, August 23, 2009

Puppies & Knitting...

It's been a while since I blogged about the doggies, and even longer since I blogged about actual projects I've been knitting. I guess I sorta leave that to Ravelry.



As for knitting. I finished a couple of things, one being the Girasole blanket that I knit for the Tanana Valley Fair. I put it in the "blanket" catagory and ended up winning 1st place in the blankets, and Class Champion in it's class! Very exciting indeed. I couldn't have done it without Bill. SERIOUSLY.

After a finishing all of the charts on Thursday night before the Fair submissions needed to be entered. I knew I had to have all 640 stitches cast off by Friday night so that I would have enough time to wash, block and for it to dry before I turned it in before 6pm Saturday. We figured that with each little knit scallop eating up about 3 stitches, and each scallop taking about 2.5 minutes, it would take a total of 8.8 hours to completely cast-off. So I knit, and I knit, and I knit until I didn't want to knit anymore.

I finally completely finished casting-off at 3:14am on Friday night. By the time we washed, blocked and laid it out to dry it was nearly 4am. Bill kept me up and pushed me the ENTIRE time. "Knit, knit, knit" he'd say, as he poured me another mug of coffee. We sat together in my chair and a half, and played Crack the Case. Besides the finger cramping, and utter exhaustion, it was one of the funnest nights spent together.

Here are my two Fair entries, and both winners surprisingly enough! The socks on the right hand side were just entered on a whim, because I hadn't worn them yet, so they still looked brand new. Go figure.
(photo curtesy of Camilla, Fairbanks Fiberista)

2 comments:

Debbie T said...

1st Place...well done!!!! Congratulations...your blanket is beautiful!!

Eero said...

It's beautiful! And what a sweet story to go with it!

E.