Monday, August 1, 2011

Final Day: Sock Summit 2011 (Sunday, July 31)

The last class of the summit, "Two-in-One Socks: The War and Peace Method"

I can see this method being fantastic for worsted weight socks for men. Simple, no fills, scratchy, warm wool socks!

knitting two socks, one inside the other... even the HEEL!

I definitely found that my purl gauge is quite a bit looser than my knit gauge. So if I ever knit these in big people's form, they better be for someone with a foot twice the size of the other one.

Me and the teachers Kate Atherley

Newly sheered sheep for the Fleece-to-Foot challenge

The object of the Fleece-2-Foot Challenge was to sheer a sheep, take the wool, card it, spin it, ply it, then knit it in 5 pieces into a fully formed pair of socks. I wasn't there to see who won, but they all sure look like they had a ton of fun doing it.

All of this fleece was carded and spun "in the grease" into yarn

These ladies were a hoot! They were spinning the yarn that was to be knit by 5 different people into socks.

More yarn bombing in Portland

After the day of classes, I met my journalism college buddy Jade for dinner and a little bit of hanging out before I went back to the hotel. We ate at the same Lebanese restaurant we ate at last Sock Summit, only they changed the name from "Arabian Nights" to "Nicholas'". Same amazing food!

I got to see Jade! No pictures of Jade, but pictures of the Lebanese food we ate.

Seriously, this flat pita bread was bigger than an extra large pizza... And DELICIOUS!

All of this food for less than $30! We stuffed ourselves, AND took 2 to-go boxes.

Monday was my very last day in Portland, where I split with Monica for her to go to Arizona and me to hang out till my flight at 6pm. I met up with my high school gal pal Nerissa, where we went back to her apartment to reminisce about old times, old friends, and what they're all up to now. We also made quick trips to IKEA, and Trader Joe! It was a HOT, busy, but awesome finish to an exhausting trip.

Me and Nerissa with either Mt. Rainier or Mt. Hood in the background (can't remember).

1 comment:

nerissa lindenfelser said...

Mt St Helens, unless Hood blew it's top off recently... It was a great day!