Sunday, March 20, 2011

Beekeeping 101

My beekeeping class... okay, not really.

So, about the end of January, I received a post from Fairbanks Freecycle about a woman who was teaching a two 4-hour session Beekeeping class in the area for $100. Since I've always wanted to keep bees, I said, "Eh, what the hell" and after much communication, decided to take the class. It's taught by a young woman named Dawn who has the knowledge of an elder and the patience of a saint. It was a fantastic learning process that I can't wait to put to good use with my colony.

Today was my last beekeeping class till the bees come on April 23rd. Dawn provided us with warm fresh muffins and tea to go along with our honey snacks, and once again provided us with mounds of handouts with endless valuable information. I was given a "feeder frame" by Dave, a member of the class, because he ordered more than one. I also came home with an empty frame to fill in with blue insulation board to keep those boxes roasty toasty when it's cold, cold, cold outside in the April and May chills.

Unfortunately I didn't get to take any pictures from the class but, did get to put together, first hand, a hive with frames that had been built up with honey/pollen from the previous year. That was a helpful experience but won't really be put to the test thill next year, when I have built up frames for my 2nd colony.

Bee hive frame with capped honey.

What we learned today:
  • the difference in looks between honey filled frames and pollen filled frames.
  • how to initially hive the bees once they arrive.
  • how to manual extract the honey using a hot knife and a de-capping comb.
  • when to check on the hives and when to add the next super/brood.
  • how and when to check for swarms. 
  • EVERYTHING we need "stuff" wise to get started on a new hive.

The other thing I did was canceled my initial order of brood and super boxes from Dandant, because John, a local beekeeper and fella who's running the beekeeper club meetings, is offering to build them for people from scratch for the cost of what it would be unassembled in the catalog. Two brood boxes, two super boxes, a telescoping top, inner cover, bottom base and entry reducer all for $125. I plan on throwing in a case of Corona. I hear it's his favorite.

After class was over, Dawn and I drove to Plant Kingdom, where I met Cindie, the owner to talk about keeping my hive on her property. She was very gracious and excited about having a hive near the green houses. Who knows, if this hobby really takes off, my little one hive endeavor could turn into a multi-hive honey making business! ...but lets not put the honey before the bee. Keeping expectations low, so as not to get disappointed. This first year is about learning, developing techniques, collecting equipment and meeting other beekeepers. Hopefully all of those things grow as time goes on.


I'm so excited and nervous about bees coming. My order for all my "stuff", (ie. suit, smoker, tool, brush, etc.) hasn't been sent out yet, but hopefully it will on Monday morning (minus the boxes). The sense of community in the beekeeping world in Fairbanks, Alaska is pretty amazing. I barely met Dawn, Dave, John and others before I instantly felt a part of something special. I can't wait to attend the beekeepers next meeting on April 6th. 


The girls arrive April 23rd. I can't wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome, I hope you keep sharing your beekeeping experience - it's something I've been fascinated with for years.

Molly said...

Beekeeping sounds so cool! I can't wait to hear how it goes!